Mahjicke Chapter 2He woke to the bitter sound of an argument, barbed words snatching into one another and tearing at both the ears and mind. The woman was the angry one, the man defensive. He rolled over, painfully, and tried to go back to sleep, but they were loud, so loud. They wouldn't let him sleep. Why couldn't they just shut up and let him sleep?
Michael was slumped, his uncomfortable gut hanging out over the hem of his slacks, his arms crossed, making a protective stance. The woman's legs were spread shoulder-width apart, her back almost straight, one hand on her hip, the other in the man's face, pointing, dominant.
"When is he leaving?" She ordered, her voice loud and deep, unnatural. She made every word sound like a sentence on it's own.
"H-He's not even awake yet!" Michael stammered.
"The moment he is awake, the very second, you kick him out! You got that Michael? I don't want him in my house!"
"Yes! Yes! I get it!"
She stormed off, sighing angrily as she did, stomping instead of walking norma
Mahjicke chapter 1All cities are zoos, with bars the size of skyscrapers, regardless of how cliché that sounds. The animals wear disguises, trying to confuse the others around them. Try to look like humans. But they don't look at each other, not at their faces, not really, afraid that if they look too close, they'll see the truth.
This was why he was able to walk amongst them, without fear of arrest or of suspicious eyes. The homeless, the downtrodden, the meek, were closer to the animals these captive creatures were trying so desperately to deny. They were invisible. His name wasn't Michael; he had just put that on to help his disguise.
He hated his disguise, knew about the animal inside and embraced it. But he had to make appearances, had to make allies, and the costume was necessary for those purposes. He was starting to believe that the motion was useless though. Those who searched him out knew where he hid anyway, and no disguise would fool them.
Everyone he knew was dead. They'd been killed b
Mahjicke prologueHe sat on my kitchen counter, looking at the clock, his pale face turned away from me. I knew he didn't care about the time; he just didn't want me to see what had happened to him. I put my hand out to him, gently, but he shrunk away as if my touch would be poisonous.
I knew I should stop, leave him well enough alone, but I couldn't. I wanted, needed to know just how bad the damage was.
"Let me see." I gently pressed, even though I knew what his response would be.
"No." He shuddered, his words deep and rakish, as if he hadn't spoke in years, "it's fine."
"It's not." I continued. This time I ignored his flinching and moved his face with my fingertips. His skin was greasy and sharp with stubble. His eyes were soft brown and he kept them away from mine, not wanting to connect with me, even though he had come to my home on his own accord.
His long oily hair covered most of the damage with mousy streaks, so I wiped them behind his ear, overlooking how he winced at the contact. His lip was s
Moore Issue 12Page 1
1. Oisin stands in the doorway, gore spilled out before him.
Oisin: I know what you are now, you Bloody Bones. You had better come out.
1. The curtains in front of the closed window billow as if there is some wind in the room.
2. Oisin's feet shift back, making deep marks in the carpet as he's pushed back.
3. He puts an arm in front of his face, pushing against the force.
4. The closet seems empty, only darkness inside.
1. Eugene pulls himself through a wall.
Eugene: Oisin! Get out of here! Now!
2. Eugene isn't affected by the wind, stepping towards the closet.
Eugene: You're an adult. You can't see a Rawhead. Not unless it touches you.
3. He looks over his shoulder at Oisin.
Eugene: And then it will be too late.
Oisin: Then what do we do?
4. Eugene holds onto the sides of the closet, looking in.
Eugene: I distract it. You run.
1. Oisin runs out of the apartment.
2. Eugene closes his eyes.
3. Skeletal fingers reach towards him.
4. The Rawhead gr
Moore Issue 11Page 1
1. Oisin opens the door to his apartment.
2. Moirrey turns, staring at the door with wide eyes.
3. She flies over towards him in a hurry.
4. She crashes into him, knocking him back.
1. Eugene stands over Oisin, serious.
Eugene: We have to take her out. Now.
2. Oisin stands up, holding the small dragon in his arms.
Oisin: What do you mean?
3. Eugene smiles, hesitantly.
Eugene: She's found a scent.
1. Oisin grabs the book of spells.
Oisin: I told Lau we would look together.
Eugene: There's no time for that! Whatever it is that she's found could leave at any time.
2. Oisin raises an eyebrow.
Oisin: You don't know what this thing is, do you?
3. Eugene shrugs.
Eugene: It's not like I speak dragon.
4. Oisin crosses his arms.
Oisin: hen you're going to have to join me.
Eugene: Oh yeah? How are you going to do that?
5. Oisin tosses Eugene's ring into the air.
6. He catches it.
Oisin: You have to go with this, right?
1. Eugene glares at
Moore Issue 10Page 1
1. Oisin walks out of the bathroom, dressed in his boxers and wife beater, drying his hair with the towel.
2. He looks around, but the apartment seems empty.
Oisin: Hey, I know you're in here. Can you come out?
3. Oisin drapes the towel over his shoulder. He looks t his feet, looking sad.
Oisin: I'd like to apologize.
1. Oisin flops down on the couch, sighing.
2. Eugene leans over the back, looking down on him.
3. Eugene sits beside him.
Oisin: Look, I really am sorry I exploded like that. It's just I dunno. It's a lot, you know? I don't know how to really explain myself.
Eugene: You don't want to believe it. I was the same way.
1. Oisin looks at him, curious.
Oisin: How did you find out?
2. Eugene rolls his eyes.
Eugene: It's a short story, I found my father being killed by a succubus. I didn't want to believe that she even existed, but she did.
3. Oisin looks away from him.
Oisin: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
4. He tur
Moore Issue 9Page 1
1. Oisin opens the door.
Oisin: Eugene? I'm home!
2. Eugene looks over the back of the couch.
Eugene: Finally! Miranda came by and she changed the channel.
3. There's some horrible child's cartoon on the screen.
Oisin: Oh dear.
4. Oisin turns off the tv.
Oisin: You were killed by Kappas, weren't you?
1. Oisin joins Eugene on the couch.
Eugene: Yes, I was, why?
Oisin: I was thinking
2. He looks over at him.
Oisin: They drown children, what if they took Kelly?
3. Eugene bites his thumb.
Eugene: They don't kidnap people from their bedrooms. They only take the kids that are upsetting the waters, while they're upsetting them.
1. Oisin looks down at his feet, no longer confident.
2. Eugene puts his hand through Oisin's shoulder.
Eugene: I know how you feel about her, how you want to help her find her daughter. There are a lot of bad things in this world and any one of them may have taken her.
3. He smiles, slightly.
Eugene: I'll help you, if you lik
Moore Issue 8Page 1
1. Oisin sits next to Eugene on the couch in his apartment, not looking at him.
Oisin: Look, I'm sorry, okay?
2. Eugene doesn't move. He's still slightly transparent.
Oisin: You said it yourself, she had to be destroyed
3. Oisin leans back, running his fingers though his hair.
Oisin: Shit, as if I didn't feel bad enough for this.
4. His eyes are red, as if he's been crying, as he checks his watch.
Oisin: I need to go. I've taken too many days off of work as it is.
1. Eugene looks sad.
2. He bites his lip, as if he's trying to hold back tears.
3. He looks up at Oisin.
4. Eugene looks bashful.
Eugene: I have a question for you.
5. Oisin looks back at him, almost to the door.
Oisin: What is it?
6. Eugene looks over his shoulder.
Eugene: What is that?
7. They both stare at the large, flat screen tv.
Oisin: It's a tv.
Eugene: A tv?
1. Eugene gets close to it, almost pressing his face against it.
Eugene: It's so big! And flat! You're lying! I know it'